To go along with books written of affiliated with The Howard Stern Show cast members, Stern Show Books has prepared another list of books. This list contains books written by former Saturday Night Live alumni and current cast members. The list was inspired by Howard Stern Comes Again, as a new excerpt was released this week relating to Amy Poehler.
Amazingly, that list comes to almost 40 books. Several of the cast members listed have appeared on the Stern Show on SiriusXM to promote the book.
Al Franken and Dennis Miller have been the most prolific, with regards to their post-SNL writing careers. Franken has written seven (mostly political) books: Giant of the Senate, Lies & the Lying Liars Who Tell Them: A Fair & Balanced Look at the Right, Oh, the Things I Know!, I’m Good Enough, I’m Smart Enough, & Doggone It, People Like Me!, Rush Limbaugh Is a Big Fat Idiot, The O’Franken Factor Factor: The Very Best of the O’Franken Factor and Why Not Me?. Miller is not far behind with five that come with an obvious theme: ‘I Rant, Therefore I Am’, Ranting Again, Still Ranting After All These Years, The Rants, The Rant Zone.
Another cast member who kept busy writing was Julia Sweeney. Sweeney’s famous character, Pat, was the subject of one book titled: It’s Pat: My Life Exposed an Official Saturday Night Live Book. Her other books include: ‘If It’s Not One Thing, It’s Your Mother’, God Said, Ha!: A Memoir and My Beautiful Loss of Faith Story: A Memoir.
If you count his “Thank You” series, Jimmy Fallon has published three books. Those books are Thank You Notes, Thank You Notes 2 and I Hate This Place: The Pessimist’s Guide to Life. Fallon also has a few kids books in the mix.
Several past cast members have published two books. Jay Mohr has two books on shelves, on specifically about his time on the show (Gasping for Airtime: Two Years in the Trenches of Saturday Night Live). His other book, No Wonder My Parents Drank: Tales from a Stand-Up Dad, is more memoir. David Spade has two books out, though one of them (A Polaroid Guy in a Snapchat World ) is strictly an audio book. His other book, Almost Interesting, is a funny memoir. Tracy Morgan has two books on the market as well, one of which is a cookbook (The Last O.G. Cookbook: How to Get Mad Culinary Skills). Morgan’s other book is titled I Am The New Black.
The majority of the cast members that have written a book have stopped at one (so far, anyway). Below is a list of the individual Saturday Night Live alumni, current cast members, and their books:
- Amy Poehler – Yes Please
- Bill Murray – Cinderella Story: My Life in Golf
- Bill Murray – The Tao of Bill Murray – Real-life Stories of Joy, Enlightenment, and Party Crashing
- Chris Rock – Rock This!
- Colin Quinn – The Coloring Book: A Comedian Solves Race Relations in America
- Darrell Hammond – God, If You’re Not Up There, I’m F*cked
- Gilda Radner – It’s Always Something
- Jim Breuer – I’m Not High: But I’ve Got a Lot of Crazy Stories about Life as a Goat Boy, a Dad, and a Spiritual Warrior
- Kevin Nealon – Yes, You’re Pregnant, But What About Me?
- Martin Short – I Must Say: My Life As a Humble Comedy Legend
- Norm Macdonald – Based on a True Story: A Memoir
- Rachel Dratch – Girl Walks into a Bar…
- Sarah Silverman – The Bedwetter: Stories of Courage, Redemption, and Pee
- Tina Fey – Bossypants
- Victoria Jackson – Lavendar Hair: 21 Devotions for Women with Breast Cancer
NOTE: This is likely not a complete list, but we will work to make it so over time.