Best Books By Former Saturday Night Live Cast Members
To go along with books written or affiliated with The Howard Stern Show cast members, Stern Show Books has prepared a list of SNL books. This list contains books written by former Saturday Night Live alumni and current cast members. The list was inspired by Howard Stern Comes Again, and the book excerpt that was released relating to Amy Poehler. These are some of the best SNL books, written by former cast members.
Are you looking for Live From New York: The Complete, Uncensored History of Saturday Night Live as Told by Its Stars, Writers, and Guests? Buy it on Amazon today.
Several of the current and former SNL cast members listed have appeared on the Stern Show on SiriusXM to promote the book.
Al Franken and Dennis Miller have been the most prolific, with regards to their post-SNL writing careers. Franken has written seven (mostly political) books: Giant of the Senate, Lies & the Lying Liars Who Tell Them: A Fair & Balanced Look at the Right, Oh, the Things I Know!, I’m Good Enough, I’m Smart Enough, & Doggone It, People Like Me!, Rush Limbaugh Is a Big Fat Idiot, The O’Franken Factor Factor: The Very Best of the O’Franken Factor and Why Not Me?. Miller is not far behind with five that come with an obvious theme: ‘I Rant, Therefore I Am’, Ranting Again, Still Ranting After All These Years, The Rants, The Rant Zone.
One of the many SNL actresses who kept busy writing is Julia Sweeney. Sweeney’s famous character, Pat, was the subject of one book titled: It’s Pat: My Life Exposed an Official Saturday Night Live Book. Her other books include: ‘If It’s Not One Thing, It’s Your Mother’, God Said, Ha!: A Memoir and My Beautiful Loss of Faith Story: A Memoir.
If you count his “Thank You” series, Jimmy Fallon has published three books. Those books are Thank You Notes, Thank You Notes 2 and I Hate This Place: The Pessimist’s Guide to Life. Fallon also has a few kid’s books in the mix.
Several past cast members have published two books. Jay Mohr has two books on shelves, specifically about his time on the show (Gasping for Airtime: Two Years in the Trenches of Saturday Night Live). His other book, No Wonder My Parents Drank: Tales from a Stand-Up Dad is more memoir. David Spade has two books out, though one of them (A Polaroid Guy in a Snapchat World ) is strictly an audiobook. His other book, Almost Interesting, is a funny memoir. Tracy Morgan has two books on the market as well, one of which is a cookbook (The Last O.G. Cookbook: How to Get Mad Culinary Skills). Morgan’s other book is titled I Am The New Black.
Books About SNL
Live from New York: An Oral History of Saturday Night Live – by Tom Shales and James Andrew Miller
Saturday Night Live: The First Twenty Years – by Michael Cader and Edie Baskin
Saturday Night: A Backstage History of Saturday Night Live – by Doug Hill and Jeff Weingrad
Saturday Night Live: Equal Opportunity Offender: The Uncensored Censor – by William Clothworthy
SNL Alum Book List
Many of the Saturday Night Live current and former cast members have written books. Some of the books are memoirs of their time on SNL and others are autobiographies or comedy. Here is a list of the individual Saturday Night Live alumni, current cast members, and their books:
- Al Franken
- Amy Poehler – Yes Please
- Bill Murray
- Billy Crystal – Still Foolin’ ‘Em: Where I’ve Been, Where I’m Going, and Where the Hell Are My Keys
- Chris Farley – The Chris Farley Show: A Biography in Three Acts by Tom Farley Jr.
- Chris Rock – Rock This!
- Colin Quinn – The Coloring Book: A Comedian Solves Race Relations in America
- Darrell Hammond – God, If You’re Not Up There, I’m F*cked
- David Spade – Almost Interesting
- Dennis Miller
- Gilda Radner – It’s Always Something
- Jack Handey
- Jay Mohr – Gasping for Airtime: Two Years in the Trenches of Saturday Night Live
- Jim Breuer – I’m Not High: But I’ve Got a Lot of Crazy Stories about Life as a Goat Boy, a Dad, and a Spiritual Warrior
- Jimmy Fallon
- Julia Sweeney
- Kevin Nealon – Yes, You’re Pregnant, But What About Me?
- Martin Short – I Must Say: My Life As a Humble Comedy Legend
- Norm Macdonald – Based on a True Story: A Memoir
- Rachel Dratch – Girl Walks into a Bar…
- Sarah Silverman – The Bedwetter: Stories of Courage, Redemption, and Pee
- Steve Martin
- Tina Fey – Bossypants
- Victoria Jackson – Lavendar Hair: 21 Devotions for Women with Breast Cancer
NOTE: This is not a complete list, but we will work to make it so over time.